Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 April 2019

Product Test - Clear Gesso Trial Sample: Test 3 - Pencils, tape, etc.

I have started a series of blogs in which I share my findings with you after having tested two trial samples of Clear Gesso, produced by a local manufacturer. One of the main problems I experienced with the Clear Gesso available on the market, was that it was so excessively rough, making it virtually impossible to use my colouring pencils on a surface treated with it. The samples I had been given, did not have this problem. However, other mediums that I have tested, resisted the colouring pencils, making it very hard to work with. I wondered how my pencils would fare on these two sample products. In today's blog, I continue my testing, this time on pencils, etc.


The first pencils I tested on Sample 5 were: Derwent Tinted Charcoal, Derwent Drawing, Derwent Academy, Derwent Coloursoft, Charcoal stick, Faber Castell Pitt Oil Base. All of these applied well to Sample 5.


All of these applied very well to Sample 6 as well, but some products seemed to experience slight resistance, such as Derwent Drawing, Derwent Academy and Derwent Coloursoft. As the slightest imperfections matter in colouring, this could prove problematic, and I took note, even though it was barely perceptible.


Back to Sample 5, I tested the following pencils: Polycolor, Cretacolor, Giotto Mega, Marco Raffine Color, Memoris Precious, Faber Castell Studio. All worked well on Sample 5.


I tried the same pencils on Sample 6 and again there was a marked difference. The cheaper pencils seemed to have more problems, but even the more expensive ones struggled more than on Sample 5. Notably, the following resisted on Sample 6: Giotto Mega, Marco Raffine Color, Memoris Precious, Number One and Faber Castell Studio.


I tested the following pencils on Sample 5: Derwent Studio, Metallic, Art Therapy, a nameless pencil. None of these had problems on Sample 5.


In contrast, all of the pencils had problems on Sample 6, especially the cheaper pencils.


I then moved on to the watersoluble pencils. I applied all of these dry before painting them with water. I left two samples of each; one wet and one dry. These are the pencils I tested on Sample 5: Faber Castell Aquarella, and Derwent Graphitint. Both applied and painted well.


In contrast, both resisted on Sample 6, although the playing field evened out when I painted it with water.


I then tested the following watersoluble pencils on Sample 5: Derwent Watercolour, Derwent Aquatone, Derwent Metallic, Derwent Inktense pencils and bars. All applied smoothly and painted well.


When it came to Sample 6, I found that again all of the pencils resisted when applied dry. However, they all painted well. The findings on the tests on pencils conclusively led me to decide that Sample 5 was the better product of the two as far as journaling was concerned. Pencils do not require a surface treatment, but anyone who wishes to mix mediums on a page, will find Sample 5 the more user-friendly version of the two samples provided.


As an afterthought, I also decided to test my decorative tapes on the samples provided. I have found that the existing product on the market does not allow me to use stickers or tape on it, unless I apply it with double-sided tape, which defies the purpose of ready-glued products. I found that different types of decorative tapes applied very well to Sample 5.


Sample 6 also proved very tape-friendly.


Overview of Sample 5.


Overview of Sample 6.


I still needed to check for bleeding, especially with the wet products. Sample 5 had prevented all bleeding.


Sample 6 had also prevented all bleeding.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/oRxpPb7R-Sc


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment